Saturday 30 November 2019

There will always be fruit of life!

In last week’s reflection “The source of the new life”, I focused on how important it is to be rooted in Christ, who also is the Word. This root will live forever. In the last chapter in the Bible, John describes the vision of the Tree of Life, and Jesus proclaiming: 
“I am the Root!” (1)

Yes, branches can be broken off, and sometimes it may even seem as though the whole three will fall. However, the Root of Life will never die. After Isaiah had his dramatic encounter with the Lord in the Temple, and answered the call: “Here am I. Send me!”(2), God sent him with a rather discouraging message to a hardened people, but he takes courage in a picture from the nature:

“But as the terebinth and oak leave stumps when they are cut down so the holy seed will be the stump in the land.”
Isaiah 6:13b
The holy seed is the people still in contact with the Root of life.

Returning to my experience as a ‘Lumberjack’, I know, that it is not only terebinth and oak that will grow new trees from the stumps. Several of the tree species we have around our house in Norway will shoot new sprouts from the stump unless I destroy the root. Since I ‘harvest’ the trees as firewood, I normally let the root live, because there will always be fruit of life. Actually, the area where the house is located has the name ‘Rønninggrenda’ which literally translates: “Where trees grow from the stumps”

I may grieve some losses as age takes its toll and branches break off, but I say with Paul:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
2 Corinthians 4:16
He who lives in me, is the Root of Life, from whom I draw nourishment that renews my inner being day by day. For this reason, I expect that there will be fruit in and of my life until the day I meet my Saviour face to face! This is His work and accomplishment only, not mine, which means that all the glory belongs to Him alone!

‘Manna’ for today:

The fruit of life is His work
---------------------------------
(1) Revelation 22:14
(2) Isaiah 6

No comments:

Post a Comment